Dan Conroy-Beam wins NSF’s Early Career Award

Dan Conroy-Beam wins National Science Foundation’s Early Career Award, 2019. It is a prestigious NSF-CAREER Award for his groundbreaking project “Using Computer Simulations to Understand Mate Choice”.

The choice of a romantic partner is the most significant decision most people make in their lifetimes. Who people love often affects where they live and work, with whom they have and raise children, who they call friends and family, how they spend their time and money, who celebrates their successes, and who supports them in times of need. As a result, the quality of romantic relationships broadly affects physical health, mental health, and financial success. Understanding how people form and maintain these important relationships is central to understanding human social behavior. It is also a clear means of improving human health, happiness, and well being. Yet gaining a deeper understanding of the romantic partner choice process, and the role it plays in human welfare, is one of the great challenges of social and behavioral science. Romantic relationships develop within complex social environments. They are influenced by interactions between individual preferences, competition between romantic rivals, and mutual attractions that change over time. Accounting for such complex and intricate social systems requires assessing multiple, intertwined processes that are difficult to measure and observe. This project approaches the problem by developing a new computer simulation technique. The aim is to apply this technique to accelerate progress in basic understanding of romantic partner choice.

This new technique (“couple simulation”) compares theories of mate selection on their ability to reconstruct actual romantic relationships within computer simulations. Couple simulation will advance progress in mate choice research by providing the first empirical metrics for comparing different models of human mate selection. The method will help address questions such as: (1) what precisely are the decision processes that connect abstract, ideal preferences to real mate choices? (2) how do these early mate choice decisions relate to longer-term relationship quality and dissolution? (3) is it possible to identify those who are likely to have a fulfilling and supportive relationship? In preliminary studies, this technique identifies accurate models of romantic partner choice and predicts romantic relationship quality. This project will further develop couple simulation by combining agent-based modeling with studies of committed romantic couples, of change and stability in romantic relationships over time, and of the dynamics of initial relationship formation. The scientific aim is to produce computational models that more accurately describe romantic partner choice and that can more effectively aid people in forming fulfilling relationships. The project will also provide training in computational methods for a diverse group of early-career researchers, and it will contribute a novel, validated tool for relationship science to continue building on these successes into the future.

This award reflects NSF’s statutory mission and has been deemed worthy of support through evaluation using the Foundation’s intellectual merit and broader impacts review criteria.

This entry was posted in Awards. Bookmark the permalink.

73 Responses to Dan Conroy-Beam wins NSF’s Early Career Award

1. Big News says:

obviously enjoy your site, but a few of your postings use some editing for spelling and grammar. On the one hand, I will definitely return; on the other, I am really annoyed by how many of them have spelling mistakes.

2. Elitepipe Plastic Factory’s HDPE fittings are renowned for their versatility, allowing for secure and efficient connections in diverse applications such as water supply, gas distribution, and industrial pipelines. Elitepipe Plastic Factory

3. Elitepipe Plastic Factory’s fittings undergo rigorous quality control processes to ensure that they meet the most stringent performance and durability requirements. Elitepipe Plastic Factory

4. Somebody essentially lend a hand to make significantly posts I might state. That is the very first time I frequented your web page and up to now? I surprised with the research you made to create this particular put up amazing. Excellent job!

5. The reputation of the website will surely see an improvement in the near future as a result of the high-quality content and the active involvement of the administrator.

6. I was recommended this website by my cousin I am not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my difficulty You are wonderful Thanks

7. goltogel says:

Mandatory insights, thanks for sharing.

8. goltogel says:

Mandatory! Appreciate the insights.

9. goltogel says:

Mandatory! Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

10. goltogel says:

I enjoyed your blog and want to apply as a writer. How should I proceed?

11. Somebody essentially lend a hand to make significantly articles Id state That is the very first time I frequented your website page and up to now I surprised with the research you made to make this actual submit amazing Wonderful task

12. qweqtt says:

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here The sketch is tasteful your authored subject matter stylish nonetheless you command get got an edginess over that you wish be delivering the following unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike

13. khaleejuae says:

Magnificent beat I would like to apprentice while you amend your site how can i subscribe for a blog web site The account helped me a acceptable deal I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea

14. I don’t think the title of your article matches the content lol. Just kidding, mainly because I had some doubts after reading the article.

15. binance says:

Your article helped me a lot, is there any more related content? Thanks!

16. Optimize Your Farm’s Water Management with Bwer Pipes: Bwer Pipes offers a comprehensive range of irrigation solutions designed to help Iraqi farmers maximize water efficiency. Our reliable sprinkler systems and durable pipes ensure uniform water distribution, promoting healthier crops and sustainable farming practices. Explore Bwer Pipes

17. binance- says:

Your point of view caught my eye and was very interesting. Thanks. I have a question for you.

18. I don’t think the title of your article matches the content lol. Just kidding, mainly because I had some doubts after reading the article.

19. Thank you for your sharing. I am worried that I lack creative ideas. It is your article that makes me full of hope. Thank you. But, I have a question, can you help me?

20. Your point of view caught my eye and was very interesting. Thanks. I have a question for you.

21. Your point of view caught my eye and was very interesting. Thanks. I have a question for you.

22. binance- says:

Can you be more specific about the content of your article? After reading it, I still have some doubts. Hope you can help me.

23. Your article helped me a lot, is there any more related content? Thanks!

24. Your article helped me a lot, is there any more related content? Thanks!

25. Thank you for your sharing. I am worried that I lack creative ideas. It is your article that makes me full of hope. Thank you. But, I have a question, can you help me?

26. binance says:

Thank you for your sharing. I am worried that I lack creative ideas. It is your article that makes me full of hope. Thank you. But, I have a question, can you help me?

27. Anonymous says:

The cam platform relies on hottest sex chat for free and private shows. Models can also sell their gallery for additional income. During broadcasts, models can set their own prices, and guys can pool their resources to achieve super sexy goals.

28. I don’t think the title of your article matches the content lol. Just kidding, mainly because I had some doubts after reading the article.

29. Pag-sign Up says:

Thanks for sharing. I read many of your blog posts, cool, your blog is very good.

30. w-495.ru says:

бесплатно психолог w-495.ru

31. Thank you for your sharing. I am worried that I lack creative ideas. It is your article that makes me full of hope. Thank you. But, I have a question, can you help me?

32. pilllow says:

Somebody essentially help to make significantly articles Id state This is the first time I frequented your web page and up to now I surprised with the research you made to make this actual post incredible Fantastic job

33. binance says:

34. I don’t think the title of your article matches the content lol. Just kidding, mainly because I had some doubts after reading the article.

35. Thanks for sharing. I read many of your blog posts, cool, your blog is very good.

36. Can you be more specific about the content of your article? After reading it, I still have some doubts. Hope you can help me.

37. Can you be more specific about the content of your article? After reading it, I still have some doubts. Hope you can help me.

38. binance says:

39. Can you be more specific about the content of your article? After reading it, I still have some doubts. Hope you can help me.

40. Aaron says:

Universities and other partners will have a key role to play in research and … can play

41. Its like you read my mind You appear to know so much about this like you wrote the book in it or something I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit but instead of that this is excellent blog A fantastic read Ill certainly be back

42. rubmd says:

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here The sketch is attractive your authored material stylish nonetheless you command get got an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike

43. Your point of view caught my eye and was very interesting. Thanks. I have a question for you.